Community Led Initiatives
Community led tourism services for generation of livelihoods at Village Kelichapada – Jawhar
Come….Stay… and Experience …the beauty of Nature in perfect harmony with Tribal Hospitality.....!This is an appeal made by Kalmandavi Paryatan Seva Samiti, a village level representative body of all tourism service providers of viallge kelichapada. The entire tourism activity is hosted by the local tribal communities
This activity is part of overall efforts of BAIF-MITTRA to promote the livelihood support activities in tribal villages for the benefit of tribal communities
BAIF –MITTRA has helped the communities by facilitating the process of formation of groups of various service providers and building their capacities and skills to offer “good quality”, “paid services” to tourists and visitors
Kelichapada is the typical tribal village located at a distance of 5 km from Jawhar town in district Thane of Maharashtra state. It is another undisturbed place far from the maddening crowds of cities. Gifted with valleys, thick forests and pleasant climate, this part of the Western Ghats is truly blessed with rich scenic beauty and majestic mountains and unique tribal culture. The place is an abode of Warli, Kukana, and Kolcha tribes. All this together makes the place an ultimate destination for a relaxing weekend!
The main Attractions and Activities offered to the tourists include:
Jawhar also is famous tourist destination. Jawhar was princely state during the British rule, ruled by the Mukne family. Even today, tourists can visit Jai Vilas Palace, Bhupatgad relics, and the thundering gush of Kalmandavi water fall which is a splendid sight. Besides, the region also known for its historical importance. Chattrapati Shivaji Maharajah, one of the greatest Maratha warrior, camped at Shirpamal near Jawhar on his way to Surat. Jai Sagar Lake at Jawhar is a hit with tourist. Places like Hanuman Point and Sunset Point offer a panoramic view of the valleys. All these places are within 5-20 kms radius from Jawhar.
- Home Stay with Tribals( warlis, kuknas) with all basic amenities at kelichapada
- Tribal Art and Craft demonstration –traditional craft papier-mâché –
- Tribal Art (Dances performance by groups : - Tarpa, Dhol, Kathkar & Dakbhakti)
- Traditional Cuisine –served by local women’s group
- Visit to Kalmandavi waterfall and adventure activities
- Local games for Entertainment, bullock cart ride ,participation in agriculture operations
- Nature trails to get glimpse of tribal life and nature in village
- Exposure visit and information on rural development activities of BAIF- MITTRA through campus tour and field activities
Do not miss it!!!
Dasehra Festival: It is a royal festival celebrated by Tribal communities at Jawhar in the months October – November on the eve of Dasehra before Diwali. One can get a glimpse of tribal dances performed on this occasion at Jawhar
Cost per Person
Best time to Visits :- September to April
- ½ Day :- Rs. 300/-excluding transportation
- 1 Day :-Rs. 1200/-includes stay
- 2 Days :- Rs. 1645/-includes stay
Map of Kelichapada Village
How to get there ?
For visits and arrangement contact :-
“Kalmandavi Tourism Committee”
Phone Nos. – 02520-691748 / 691728 / 680587 / 697223
Sudan Bhoye – 09975249929
BAIF -Mittra Aamrai Campus:
Jawhar, Dist. Thane
Pin – 401603
MITTRA office – 02520-223099