Livelihoods promotion of the landless families
Since 20-30% of the families in the MITTRA´S operational areas are landless special emphasis is given to support them through various interventions for better livelihood. Developing programs for the landless is very ticklish as the landless pursue numerous vocations, each based on different resource(s). The resources vary from place to place. There is no common or a fixed “resource base” on which a mass program can be built upon.
Aims and Objective:
Developing programs for the landless and support them to undertake better livelihood options.
The following approaches are taken while working with the landless -
- Finding opportunities for adding value to time of the landless by imparting intensive skills training; for e.g. from developing a helper to a mason to a skilled mason by imparting training in masonry.
- Identifying off-farm supportive opportunities for land-based activities like nursery raising.
- Creating opportunities from opportunities. Economic development in land based / agriculture sector opens up new opportunities in the service sector. The land less can avail such jobs like diesel pump repairs, installation of irrigation systems, masonry, grocery and small trade. These activities can be earmarked exclusively for landless.
- Giving priority to the landless at entrepreneurial level. At a subsequent stage, processing and marketing opportunities also develop at individual and community levels; the landless are motivated and given priority in related enterprises.
The nature of interventions:
Broadly the activities of the landless development are classified as under :
- Skill - example - Mason, Carpentry
- Services - example -Hotel
- Agriculture/livestock- example - Vegetable cultivation, Goat rearing
- Trading - example - Kirana Shop
Landless Development Program: Achievements
||Landless Families Supported
|Cumulative Number of Families